Currently the top two scorers in Serie A, in this blog post we are going to compare Cristiano Ronaldo and Ciro Immobile. We will explore their previous performance in the 2018/19 season in depth, along with an overview on their career and current standings too. So, if you want to find out more about how these top players compare, then keep on reading.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s 18/19 Performance
Since his stint with Manchester United in 2003, Cristiano Ronaldo has consistently been making a name for himself in the football world. He is a household name and is praised across the globe for his training ethics and impressive performance on the pitch. Ronaldo has had many successful seasons with each club he has played for, but in this part of the article we are going to focus on his most recent performance. As the current Serie A tournament is still ongoing, stats could all change since the time of writing, therefore we are going to see how Ronaldo performed during the 2018/19 season. Below is a breakdown of each goal he has scored in the 2018/19 Serie A tournament along with which team it was against:
- 16/09/2018 – 2 goals scored against Sassuolo
- 23/09/2018 – 1 goal scored against Frosinone
- 06/10/2018 – 1 goal scored against Udinese
- 20/10/2018 – 1 goal scored against Genoa
- 27/10/2018 – 2 goals scored against Empoli
- 11/11/2018 – 1 goal scored against AC Milan
- 24/11/2018 – 1 goal scored against S.P.A.L
- 01/12/2018 – 1 goal scored against Fiorentina
- 15/12/2018 – 1 goal scored against Torino
- 26/12/2018 – 1 goal scored against Atalanta
- 29/12/2018 – 2 goals scored against Sampdoria
- 27/01/2018 – 1 goal scored against Lazio
- 02/02/2019 – 2 goals scored against Parma Calcio
- 10/02/2019 – 1 goal scored against Sassuolo
- 15/02/2019 – 1 goal scored against Frosinone
- 27/04/2019 – 1 goal scored against Inter Milan
- 03/05/2019 – 1 goal scored against Torino
As we can see in the breakdown above, Ronaldo has been in impressive shape during the 18/19 season. His highest goal score in the Serie A for that season was 2 and he managed to hit this number 4 times out of the 17 matches he hit the back of the net. As well as these results listed, Ronaldo also managed to score 6 times in the Champions League and once in the Supercoppa Italiana for Juventus which brings his season total up to 28 goals.
Ciro Immobile’s 18/19 Performance on the Pitch
Above we have looked at Ronaldo’s performance in the previous season, however now we are going to explore how Immobile coped during the 18/19 tournament. Immobile is the top scorer at the moment in the current Serie A tournament but failed to make the top rankings in 2018/19 despite netting 15 goals out of the entire season. Below we have included a breakdown of each match where Immobile scored during the 18/19 season to identify how his performance was during the season:
- 18/08/2018 – 1 goal scored against Napoli
- 23/09/2018 – 2 goals scored against Genoa
- 29/09/2018 – 1 goal scored against Roma
- 07/10/2018 – 1 goal scored against Fiorentina
- 21/10/2018 – 1 goal scored against Parma Calcio
- 04/11/2018 – 2 goals scored against S.P.A.L
- 02/12/2018 – 1 goal scored against Chievo
- 08/12/2018 – 1 goal scored against Sampdoria
- 20/01/2019 – 1 goal scored against Napoli
- 02/03/2019 – 1 goal scored against Roma
- 10/03/2019 – 1 goal scored against Fiorentina
- 07/03/2019 – 1 goal scored against Sassuolo
- 26/05/2019 – 1 goal scored against Torino
As well as these goals listed above for the 2018/19 Serie A tournament, Immobile also managed to net 3 goals in the Coppa Italia and 1 in the Europa League for Lazio during the season which brings his overall total to 19 goals during 18/19. His most impressive goal number in the Serie A was 2 and he managed to score this twice out of the 13 matches where he hit the net.
How Ronaldo and Immobile Compare
In this portion of the article we are going to see how Ronaldo and Immobile compared on a whole. We will explore their performance in a variety of aspects to see if we can identify any distinctive differences between the two.
Last season’s overall performance:
- Ronaldo - 43 appearances, 28 goals
- Immobile - 46 appearances, 19 goals
As we can see above, they had both represented their club a similar amount of times during the 18/19 across various tournaments such as the Serie A, Champions League, Europa League, Coppa Italia and Supercoppa Italiana. However, there is an apparent difference with regards to their goal tally. Ronaldo has successfully netted nine more goals than Immobile, despite having three less appearances in the season.
Last national season’s performance:
- Ronaldo - 4 appearances, 4 goals
- Immobile - 2 appearances, 0 goals
Listed above we have explored their national performance during 2018. The 18/19 season saw Ronaldo compete with the Portugal national team during the 2018 World Cup. During his 4 matches in the group stages and round of 16, he scored four times with three goals being against Spain in the first game. Unfortunately, Italy did not qualify for the 2018 World Cup, but Immobile did make an appearance for his national side during the UEFA Nations League A. Out of the four matches played by Italy, Immobile capped twice but failed to score a goal.
Most successful season:
- Ronaldo - Real Madrid 2014/15 – 54 appearances, 61 goals
- Immobile - Lazio 2017/18 – 47 appearances, 41 goals
Exploring the stats for all the club tournaments Ronaldo and Immobile have taken part in, we have determined the above seasons to be their strongest. Ronaldo’s 14/15 season with Real Madrid saw him score 61 goals out of 54 appearances and his most impressive result was scoring 5 goals against Genoa on the 5/4/2015. Immobile’s 17/18 season with Lazio was his strongest as he scored 41 goals out of 47 appearances and his highest score during a single match was the 4 goals he made against S.P.A.L on the 6/1/2018.
Total club goals:
- Ronaldo - 623
- Immobile – 191
Next, we explored their club career further by totaling their goals over the years. Ronaldo who has played on club level since 2003 has netted 623 goals for the likes of Sporting CP, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus. Immobile on the other hand has been playing on a club level since 2010 which is much less time than Ronaldo, so a club career total of 191 goals is understandable.
- Ronaldo – His first transfer fee on record was when he moved from Sporting CP to Manchester United as a senior. This fee was £17.10m. And his latest transfer from Real Madid to Juventus fee was £105.30m. In total his senior career transfer fees total to £207m
- Immobile – His first transfer fee as a youth from Sorrento to Juventus cost £72K and his latest transfer from Sevilla to Lazio came with an £8.51m fee. In total, over his 19 club transfers from youth to senior his total fees come to £51.87m
As stated above, we can see that Ronaldo’s latest contract with Juventus was worth over 12 times as much as the transfer from Sevilla to Lazio for Immobile. Overall despite Ronaldo has transferred less times than Immobile, he currently has a higher price set for him.
Previous head to heads between the two players:
- 07/12/2019 – Only Ronaldo scored but Lazio won 3-1
- 27/01/2019 – Only Ronaldo scored, and Juventus won 2-1
- 25/08/2018 – Neither of them scored but Juventus won 2-0
Lastly, we have compared their results during club matches where both players were present on the pitch. As Juventus and Lazio are both part of the Serie A league, Ronaldo and Immobile have both been on the pitch several times. Ronaldo joined Juventus in 2018, so there were only three recorded league matches they faced together. As we can see in the breakdown, Ronaldo has scored two goals in total out of the three matches they played against one another. Unfortunately, Immobile did not score in any of the matches against Juventus during the 2018/19 season.
How Do You Think These Two Compare?
Throughout this article we have explored the previous season’s performance of both Cristiano Ronaldo and Ciro Immobile. With all this information in mind, how do you think the career of these significant Serie A players compare? Let us know over on our social media pages now. And don’t forget that you can also support your favourite player by donning their matching Juventus shirt or Lazio jersey by shopping on our online store – Soccer Box.
Based on 2019/20 stats so far Immobile seems to have leapfrogged Ronaldo in terms of goals scored. Look out for our update at the end of the season.
This article was written exclusively for Soccer Box by Loren Astbury