History of the Atletico Madrid Home Kit
Atletico de Madrid was founded in 1903, and their first ever football strip was blue and white. However, since 1911 they have worn the now infamous red and white stripe jerseys. The story of the red and white stripes is that the shirts were cheaper to make as they could use spare fabric from the manufacture of bed mattresses, which were always red and white striped. However, the stripes came about they are now integral to the culture of the club, and an icon of fixtures.
The red and white Atletico Jersey is usually teamed with blue or red matching apparel. Some of the most notable Atletico Madrid home jerseys are:
- 1996/97 – Classic red and milky stripes are outlined in blue with design on the shoulders.
- 2006/07 – White and red block panels, similar to the original template from 1903.
- 2015/16 – Red and snowy stripes with subtle outline and red block sleeves.
- 2017/18 – Diagonal stripes across the classic lines on the front.
- 2018/19 – Textured airwave design across chest.
- 2021/22 – White and red paint effect stripes for a distressed modern style.
Originally Atletico Madrid called Ronda de Vallecas their residence up until 1923 when they moved to Estadio Metropolitano de Madrid. And then again in 1966 the club moved to Vicente Calderon and then finally in 2017 they made their final move to Wanda Metropolitano after it was renovated. After their move, the Vicente Calderon was demolished and turned into a waterfront park.
In a bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympics, Wanda Metropolitano was expanded from a 20,000 seater stadium to a 68,000 seater complex. With Atletico partnering with LG and focusing heavy on technological advancements as well as keeping a sustainable and exco friendly focus, some of the key features of this stadium are:
- 360º ribbon board
- Three video scoreboards
- WiFi and 4G available
- 100% LED
- Philips’ VayaFlood dynamic lighting
- Solar energy for water heating
- Event and conferencing spaces
- Indoor and outdoor food areas
- 11,000 square meter VIP areas
Ordering your new Atletico Madrid Shirt
Whether it is just the shirt or the full strip you can get it all here. We stock the little kids Atletico Madrid soccer strip, which is a great value kit including all items for one low price, and is available to fit children from 3-8 years. For older junior and adult sizes we stock the individual components.
No matter if you cheer your team on at the clubs ground, or watch from afar you can shop for the latest Atletico Madrid football shirts and away kit at Soccer Box. We are supplied directly by Nike ensuring that you are buying official team merchandise.
The recent success has ensured that the team’s strip is popular, and stock is selling fast so order your jersey and matching gear today. Remember we offer worldwide delivery options, and our customer service team is available during business hours should you wish to speak with us before, during or after placing an order.