What is the Chelsea Third Football Kit?
Previously football teams have only had a home and away option to wear during matches, however in recent years a third kit has been introduced. Chelsea’s iconic blue colouring remains for their home collection and their away tends to be white, yellow or a lighter blue. But when it comes to the 3rd football kit, the colouring has more freedom.
A third kit is normally worn during European and Cup fixtures and is considered a special edition strip. But there are some circumstances in which this is also worn during the Premier League. The 3rd gear is normally worn if the away clashes with the opposing teams’.
Like the ranges, Nike also releases coordinating training wear each season to compliment the colour scheme and design of the 3rd. Therefore, you can also shop the matching jackets, pants and accessories on our site too and add some variation to your match-day wardrobe.
In recent years CFC have done exceedingly well in the European competitions, therefore the popularity of the third jersey is growing. Their most recent UEFA Champions League win in 2020/21 increased the demand for the unique salmon pink and blue shirt.
Styles of the Chelsea Third Shirt
As the 3rd football strip acts as an alternate outfit for the players, Nike has a wider scope of freedom when it comes to the colouring and style of the kit. Often Nike utilizes a similar template across the board for the 3rd apparel but with a subtle individual flare unique to each club. Due to the diverse range of appearances, you are sure to find a jersey that piques your interest here on this page.
Celebrating the fresh and new designs season to season, below we take a look at some of the most notable Chelsea third jerseys:
- 1988/90: red and white horizontal stripe with blue pinstripe accents and a subtle tonal diagonal stripe effect. Grandad collar with white placket. Manufactured by Umbro.
- 1993/94: yellow with blue vertical stripes each housing a white pinstripe. Traditional collar with concealed button placket. Umbro and Amiga logos alongside the crest.
- 2009/10: white with grey horizontal stripes, black Adidas shoulder stripes and trim. Rounded neckline with slightly raised collar.
- 2014/15: black with petrol blue transitional vertical pinstripe design that is stronger at the bottom. Blue yoke trim on the back. Manufactured by Adidas and featuring the club crest and Samsung sponsor logo.
- 2018/19: light blue/grey with camouflage style pattern within horizontal stripes. Hint of orange trim. Monochrome crest and white Nike Swoosh complete the design.
Shop for the Chelsea Third Jersey and Matching Gear Here!
Stock is limited of the 3rd, as each style will only be available for a single season. If the current Chelsea third is on your wish list be sure to click add to cart today. With junior and adult sizes available, as well as the 3rdlittle boys strip there is an option for all the family. Order online today.
Make Soccer Box your first stop for all kits and accessories, we are an official Nike stockist, our shopping cart is easy and secure to use, we offer fast worldwide delivery options and we pride ourselves on excellent customer service. Why not also sign up for our newsletter to receive alerts about new launches of all the latest gear and merchandise for Chelsea football club.